Tue, 19 Mar 2019

Two hospitalized after package sent to the U.K. Parliament

By Sheetal Sukhija, Kentucky State News
13 Mar 2018, 09:22 GMT+10

LONDON, U.K. - Londons Metropolitan police have said that two people were hospitalized after a suspicious package was sent to the U.K. Parliament.

Scotland Yard said in a statement that they were informed about the suspicious package which was sent to one of the offices within the Palace of Westminster on Monday.

The incident comes days after a Russian spy was allegedly poisoned with a deadly nerve agent.

A spokesman of the Metropolitan police said that the package was delivered to an office at the Norman Shaw Buildings, where many British MPs have their offices and contained a white powder.

Adding, "A man and a woman have been taken to a central London hospital as a precaution after they came in contact with white powder sent to them.

A spokeswoman for the House of Commons said the area had been cordoned off but there was no evacuation.

Upon examination, the Metropolitan Police said that the package was assessed by specialists and found not to be noxious.

The statement added that detectives from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command had been informed and are investigating the incident.

A parliamentary spokesperson said in a statement, "We are aware of a potential situation involving a suspicious substance which the Met Police are investigating. There has been no evacuation, but the affected area has been cordoned off. Access to the building is otherwise unaffected. We cannot provide any more details at this stage.

According to the London Ambulance Service, it had attended the scene and taken a man and a woman to a nearby hospital as precaution.

The incident also comes a month after U.K. home secretary Amber Rudd had white powder sent to her office in Parliament which was also assessed and found to be not dangerous.

More Kentucky News

Access More

Sign up for Kentucky State News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!